Saturday, April 16, 2011

New Year 2011

Well, who would ever think at 49 one's accessories would include a cane, walker and a wheelchair?  Incredible how life can quickly change.  The first week of January brought me five days of IVig treatments as recommended by my visit to Cleveland.  Aggressive Ivig and physical therapy when I get stronger.  To this point, I have lost quite a bit of muscle tone so it is probably a matter of time before my legs totally quit on me.  I use my walker to get to the bathroom but I cannot get up by myself.  I am becoming more and more dependent upon others.  Ugh!!! 


O'Bleness oncology department rocks!  They took such good care of me.  My veins are kind of weak for some reason so sometimes they would have to stick me two and three times for the iv.  I did go home with the locked iv and that would help for another day.  Mostly I read and watched tv during the three to four hours it takes.  Tony would get me settled in and then pick me up.  I tolerated the treatments with no adverse side affects...good thing!


Paul Mullins, a friend and physical therapist, came to the house to see how he could be of help.  He had us switch the wheelchair arms around for better leverage, take the bathroom door off the hinges and strongly suggested we buy a firmer, higher seated recliner.  My old recliner is "soupy" and a rocker making it tough to get me up.  Paul also showed me a few exercises that would help me.  Awesome!


Let me say here that I have a new respect for anyone that is disabled.  Not only for daily needs but for the project it is to go anywhere.  I suspect one just gets used to it but for us it was a frustrating challenge.  We did get a handicap placard in December.  While it is truly helpful and necessary for us it is absolutely aggravating to see someone in a red, cute sports car park in a handicap spot...pop out of the car and walk around the mall.  When one is made aware of a necessity it is amazing what you see.  Handicap bathroom stalls...all the way at the end of the bathroom.  Lack of family restrooms.  So, when we were going somewhere I limited my liquid intake as it was a struggle just to go to the bathroom.


It also was about this time that our wonderful, gracious friends began their meals on wheels campaign for us.  All wanted to know what they could do to help us and with Tony running a business, a home and taking care of me, cooking was not really a priority.  So, every few days someone would bring a meal (or three!!!).  And, I mean a meal...pastas, veggies, roasts, soups...breads, salads...desserts!!!  Absolutely, incredible friends and support.  I had to lecture each about small portions.  We had Wed girls' night at my house where I could be comfortable yet social.  We will never be able to thank everyone for their generosity!


Tony and I decided since I was not able to work and was pretty much confined to my four walls that we would go to my parent's home in Florida.  As long as we could get a direct flight (which we could not), a walker and a wheelchair (rented) we could make it work.  My parent's condo is up a flight and a half of steps and we knew this would be a challenge to say the least.  So, after my appointment with Dr. Arce Jan. 12th we flew to Florida.  The biggest challenge at the airport was the lack of a family restroom in our terminal.  Tony, out of necessity, just rolled me in to the ladies restroom (we tried to be sure it was empty if we could).  Just got to do what you got to do...


More about our respite trip later!


   



1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl! I'm Jaime, from the OU school of physical therapy - we spoke this morning. Well, instead of studying I've just spent the past hour reading your blog. :o) I absolutely love your positive attitude and can't wait to work with you and get to know you better. See you tuesday!

    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete