Friday, April 1, 2011

Reflections

Before I go much further this may be a good point to share part of how I have gotten through this crazy, unexpected journey.


I am not a fan of organized religion for many reasons.  I am spiritual and I have my own personal belief system that works for me.  A few years ago I heard of "The New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle...it sounded interesting and I was, at the time, searching for some understanding of life.  I read, highlighted and absorbed Tolle's writing.  I came to understand and connect with him and started to "practice" being Present in my life.  Little did I know I was practicing for accepting my life as it is Now.  And so:


1.  We label moments as either "good" or "bad".  Yet, the only moment we really ever truly have is now.  Life itself is only now;  the other "good" or "bad" moments only exist when we think about them.  Honor the past.  Plan for the future.  Live  now.
2.  Do I want the present moment to be my friend or my enemy?  I could choose to do battle with the moment...what is now...or I could accept it, lean in to it and live that moment.  This takes practice as it is not natural to live now.
3. Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness.  I know this journey is what I needed to experience because it is happening at this moment.
4.  If I want to be at peace I have to make peace with what is.
5.  Wherever I am I am totally there.  If it makes me unhappy I have three options...remove myself from the situation, change it or accept it totally.  By choosing and accepting the consequences I have taken responsibility for my life.


Each day I read a passage or two from a couple of New Earth supplements.  I also read Mark Nepo's The Book of Awakening...a new passage each day...his stories are so, so awesome...check him out!  Practicing to live in the Now is tough work but it has really helped me get through the rough patches.    


Friends and family.  We cannot ever say enough or ever do enough for those that have so graciously gave of themselves.  From prayers to meals to deliciously perfect brownies to medical equipment to therapy assistance to a shoulder to cry on...we could never have gotten through this journey without the love and outpouring of support...more on this at a later time. 


Tony.  Cream rises to the top.  Yes, we do what we have to do.  My husband has been here for me each and every day.  We have had our share of frustrations but also some great laughs.  Our marriage has been strengthened through adversity and we have learned much about ourselves and each other.  Life is not neat and tidy (thanks for those few very true words, Jeanne!)....



5 comments:

  1. Jesus is not about religion. Religion is full of man made rules, and regulations. If you have ever read the Bible, you should have noticed Christ and the Religious rulers of that day were always at odds with each other. We can't do anything to earn God's love, he freely gives it to us through his son Jesus, who displayed that love by dying on the cross for us. Noone is perfect, not even the Church. We all are born with what the bible calls "sin." But God, who is perfect, became a sacrifice for the "sins" of mankind by dying on the cross. Therefore, all the work is done! That's why, while on the cross, Jesus said "It is finished." Religion comes along with a list of things to do, but Christ has done it all already, that's why he said "It is finished." So, do Christians care about living righteous, and holy lives? Of course we do! But not to earn God's favor, because in Christ he already embraces us! Not to earn God's love, because in Christ he already loves us! The motivation is completely different! All of the "must do's" are thrown right out the window, because the must do's of religion, Christ has already done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending good vibes your way, Cheryl. Not sure why good people always have to deal with the crap. Why can't the murderers & rapists get all of the ridiculous, painful and sad ailments. Boo. Keep strong, Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl. This is Teresa S. Wow,so glad you are doing this blog. I have always loved our chats and always look so forward to each of your visits to my office. You are special to EVERYONE you come in contact with. Thank you for allowing each of us to stay in tune with you. Maybe it can't be with a drop by the office visit at this time but I still can hear your sweet, sweet spirit with each and every word you type. I have cried a little and laughed a lot while reading each post, because you are being you. Hugs and of course prayers for you each day. Love, Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cheryl, I am typing through the tears and smiles as I read your blog. My sister Linda told me about it and I am so glad she did. You are in all of my good growing up memories and YES, I know why your friend had to buy you pj's for the hospital. LOL I love you like only an old friend can and always will. Love, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl:

    Bonita gave me the blog address. So glad she did. Your strength and faith are amazing and your story compelling. Keeping living the dream, albeit altered, and reach out to friends.

    Jim R.

    ReplyDelete