Monday, March 14, 2011

Fall...A Different Meaning

Chilly.  Leaves.  Color.  Homecoming.  Football.  Sweatshirts.  My absolute favorite time of the year.  Fortunately, I made an effort to enjoy all that fall is to me...unfortunately, fall became a verb to me too.


In late Sept I tried a week of full-time work but by the end of the week my body was exhausted and telling me to listen up!  So, back to part-time.  My schedule was 8:00 to about noon and my afternoons were spent sitting outside for a bit and then sleeping for a bit.  My symptoms were increasing now.  The numbness/tingliness had crept up to mid-calf and to about my wrists.  It feels like when your hand/foot falls asleep...although that you can shake out, my extremities felt that way 24/7.  I could still walk without assistance but developed a Frankenstein-like gait.  Because of the numbness/sensory and reflex loss I could not tell where my feet were so I was slow and off balance.  I know I scared a few people but I am stubborn and insisted on "being fine".  The stairs at work were a challenge but I took them slow and deliberate.  As long as I could use the walls or furniture as guides...I was fine!  I could not walk far and getting through Kroger's felt like running a marathon. Yes, I was still driving.


Teri and Lori were insisting that I go to a cane and when Teri brought me "walking sticks" (like ski poles) I relented and started to use one.  I had to admit it helped me balance a bit.  About mid-October is when "fall" became a verb.  Because of balance issues and extreme muscle fatigue I took a couple of tumbles...nothing major but I knew my body was giving out.  Therapy was not really helpful at this point but I continued.  I could still stand in the shower but not for very long.  Yes, I was still driving.


October at OU means Homecoming.  I think this is about the time the hard facts really hit me.  Tony dropped me and my "walking stick" at Court Street Coffee.  As I sat on the porch it seemed as though I was watching life go by.  None of us realizes how fortunate we are and what simple things we take for granted.  It all hit me that sunny, chilly fall morning.  My pals found me and helped me to the spot where we love to watch the parade.  After the festivities Tony came back around to pick me up.  While I appreciated the beautiful day I felt a loss of sorts.


At this same time, Tony and I made the huge decision to put an offer on a condo at our Country Club and begin to downsize and simplify our life.  Needless to say our son was not thrilled.  The offer was contingent upon us selling our current home.  And so that process began with high hopes.


October 24th.  Interesting day.  I went to Penny Tope's gorgeous cabin to have my cards read.  I have never done so but I do believe there is certain energy that can be reigned in by us.  I cannot now remember all that transpired but I do recall two cards that turned up during my session.  They were both "spilled cup" cards.  These cards indicate a sense of loss yet the cloaked figure is not looking behind at the two remaining cups that are still standing.  Hope.  Optimism.  Interesting.  http://www.keen.com/documents/works/articles/tarot/five-of-cups-tarot-card.asp


This day was also the day I gave up driving, thus my independence.  I had a very difficult time getting to my car and getting out of the cabin's driveway.  I knew it was time.  While I was upset I knew it was the right decision for safety reasons.  Alas...Tony's Taxi was born!


I had an appointment with Dr. Arce on the 27th.  It was quite obvious that my condition had deteriorated and we started to talk about more IVig treatments and the possibility of CIDP (chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy) which is basically chronic GBS.  We scheduled another EMG for early November to be conducted by Dr. Arce.



























No comments:

Post a Comment