Saturday, March 19, 2011

Reality Brings Some Changes...

Let me just back pedal a moment.  In early September when my symptoms were somewhat mild I did some shopping.  I knew I would need some low heel/flat boots as my numbness and lack of balance were not a good combo for heels.  Those of you that know me are howling right now because you know my love of boots...so any excuse to HAVE to buy a pair, or two (or four!!!)...and so I bought some awesome boots and a few pairs of very cool jeans.  


Well, I got to wear each pair maybe once and the jeans still have the tags on today.  Reality by mid-October was yoga pants/sweats and tennis shoes.  I could not handle buttons nor could I get my own shoes on...so, Tony had to get my boots on when I did want to wear them.  How do you think that went?  LOL!!!  I finally relented and even wore yoga/leggings and tennis shoes to the office.


Since I had given up driving each day was centered around Tony taking me to work, helping me up the steps and picking me up around noon;  then home to rest.  The gals at the office were awesome.  They would get my coffee and Lucky Charms (they couldn't stand to watch me with a walking stick trying to get to my office and hot coffee).  While going to work was an emotionally good thing it was physically draining much of the time.


November 4th.  EMG at Dr. Arce's in Columbus.  Simply stated an EMG shoots currents through nerves and the machine/doctor measures the time it takes to travel from a to b.  It is a bit uncomfortable but not really painful.  Dr. Arce was patient and explained what he was seeing and thinking along the way.  Yes, I was worse in that I had places all along my leg that the current did not even get to point b...meaning the myelin had stripped off in sections (think of the rubber covering on a copper wire and stripping off that rubber coating).  


Again, we discussed the possibility of CIDP and while Dr. Arce remained positive in early diagnosis/treatment, my symptoms were obviously getting worse.  I was numb to my calves and past my wrists now.  Walking was a strain even with my stick.  We scheduled an IVig treatment for Nov. 9th.  Again, I did my treatment at our local hospital but now I went to the oncology department.  Wow!  The gals in this department are incredible.  Each of them is caring without being condescending...professional, yet fun.  I truly cannot say enough about what they do every day.  My treatment was about four hours and I just read and watched some tv.  Fairly easy process this time.


A little tap of my stick...LOL
Before I realized I would be declining and a burden to those around me (I know...my family and friends would whack me for that thought) I had scheduled a girls' trip to Ft. Lauderdale.  Teri, Lori, Dawn and Penny.  They insisted I go and I knew Lori would help me as she was used to it every day at the office.  November 11th was my first time in a wheelchair but I had to do so as walking through an airport would have been impossible.  We had a few laughs and managed to make the best of my situation.  The trip was much needed for me and it gave Tony a break.  The gals were so patient, Lori helped me when I needed it, we drove instead of walked and they even got me in the pool a bit.  Great time with great friends.































































No comments:

Post a Comment