Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In the Beginning...

I can say that I really did not believe I would ever have much to "say" let alone blog however life has changed a bit for me.  This blog (where did that word come from?) will allow me the following:

1.  a chance to explain to others what I have been diagnosed with
2.  a way to exercise my hands/fingers
3.  an opportunity to share how blessed I am
4.  maybe get off Tony's nerve/back for a few minutes
5.  get away from horrible daytime tv
6.  a place to share what I have learned and continue to learn everyday

I am not a great writer, my vocabulary stinks and I tend to use lots of "....".  No apologies.

For those of you who do not know me well or otherwise...a bit of background.  I grew up outside of the Youngstown-Warren area in a one-light town, Vienna.  My childhood was typical, I was a somewhat wild teen and ended up coming to Ohio University.  Athens is a small town in the southeastern hills and is the quintessential college town.  Fall is my favorite time of the year and so in this part of the world combined with the setting of OU, my love of the area and people grew.  I finished my BSJ and during my time studying for my MA I met my current husband, Tony.  Too many details associated with that journey but know that we have been together since 1985 and have an awesome 20-year-old son now at OU (living the dream).  I have worked as an employee benefits consultant at the same company for 15 years and my husband has his own business.

I have always been a healthy woman, tried to live a healthy and active life.  Golfing, gardening, cooking and a very independent career is what I counted on every day.  My family and friends centered my life and my social activities never lacked.  Late June/early July 2010 the top third of both of my feet went numb and tingly.  I thought it was a pinched nerve and, of course, blew it off.  It was a bit aggravating and I tended to laugh it off until late July when, on our annual girls' golf trip, my fingertips went numb/tingly.  I knew there was a more serious issue developing.  When we got back my pcp did not know what was wrong so he referred me to a neurologist in Columbus.

August 16th.  Dr. Arce.  Examination and many questions of me.  Neuropathy.  Possible GBS...whatever that is...he puts me in Riverside that day.  Seriously?  I was totally unprepared for that one!  Luckily, Tony and I had time to get a great lunch (always important) and get a few things at Target.  We checked in to Riverside that afternoon, double room (I started to ask for a private room as soon as we checked in) and no clue as to what lie ahead.  All fun and games that first afternoon.  The next morning was a totally different story.













2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl, this is Cheryl (Patrick) Young here, from old Vienna. I read your story and was totally lost for words. I will pray for you and please ask God for his healing powers upon your body. God is the only One who can help you, the doctors are His tools. I've had my share of sickness too, but God helped me through them. Praise God! Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you. Please take care and God Bless! Cheryl RXP79@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I am a friend of Trudy's. I have been very interested in your story. When we were about 20 a friend of mine had the same thing. We were at Kings Island one day, she was perfectly fine, and the next morning she was in the hospital diagnosed with the same thing. I just wanted to let you know she was totally back to normal after about 6 months. She was in the hospital and then physical therapy for 3 months I think. She even had a trache in her throat. But completely recovered. I will never forget it as I was at the hospital every single night with her. I do not keep in touch with her but I am thinking of looking her up now! Thanks for writing the blog. I'll keep reading. Take care!

    ReplyDelete